The start of things...

Gyp Collie
Gyp's the new apprentice Mountainfeet hound – he's attempting to fill the paws left by Cap who we very sadly lost in 2010. Gyp previously lived on a sheep farm in the Lake District with lots of other collies, many of whom were accomplished trials and sheep herding dogs. Luckily for us, Gyp doesn't have much enthusiasm for sheep and is happy to give them a wide berth – perfect behaviour for a dog living here in the Pennines and spending a lot of time in proximity to them.

We'll try and chart Gyp's progress through his eyes via the Dog Blog and for those who might miss Cap's page, we've included a link to it here...

16th April 2012

Well, there I was just minding my own business and trying to fight my corner with my siblings and Derek, (Derek Scrimgeour of Lonscale Farm) evicts me from the kennel and shoves me in front of this bald bloke from somewhere called Marsden! Then Derek wraps a collar round my neck, clips something called a lead to it and hands the other end to the bald bloke who just walks off with me – where on earth am I going and what's happening?


How cute am I?
I've never really been out and about beyond the farm – that's where I felt safe as Derek, Helen and Rachel were kind to me and let me run around in the nearby fields to let off steam. The only complaint I had was about the feeding arrangements as my siblings always got way more scoff than me because they pushed me out of the way. I think this is what the two feets call 'the survival of the fittest' and boy was I getting skinny!

Anyway, me and the bald bloke started heading up the back of Latrigg above Keswick and I was happy to lope along behind him on the bit of string they call a lead. The bald bloke was talking ALL the time in a low, calm way that put me at my ease – he couldn't be too bad then? It was a beautiful day – fluffy white clouds in a blue sky which met the green springy grass of Latrigg and I was enjoying myself until I felt we were going too far from the farm. Time for me to flop down and dig the claws in – not happy with this any more...

Surprisingly, the bald bloke didn't drag me on the string but came and sat down with me. Below in the valley, we could see and hear my dad, Laddie, working with Derek to separate some dopey sheep into two groups. The bald bloke seemed pretty impressed with all this but I already knew Pops was something special in the sheep dog world as he travels a lot to take part in competitions. I don't think he really knows me much as from what I hear he's had loads of pups – he's been a bit a lad about town with the ladies I think!

Anyway, we toddled back to the farm and the bald bloke talked with Derek – about me I think. Then I was let off the piece of string thing and went rough and tumbling around the farm yard with the other dogs while the bald bloke and Derek disappeared into the farm kitchen. I eventually sneaked in too and watched them drinking tea and eating cake while Rachel (the farmers daughter) got the papers out with my details on – what was going on?

All the two feets seemed to be getting on like a house on fire but then the bald bloke got up to leave and I decided to follow him out. He had a van and strangely, a dog basket! Rachel came out too and lured me into the van with a bit of food. No problem, I'll do anything for a bit of food...

Fast forward an hour and we're whizzing at high speed down a super-wide, mega-fast farm track like I've never seen before – the bald bloke says it's called the M6. I'm curled up on the front seat in more luxury than I've ever known and am quite chilled so decide to go to sleep. When I wake up I'm on some strange hillside and being encouraged to vacate the van to go for a pee. Because I don't want to upset the bald bloke who seems nice, I comply and also decide to stick close to him which goes down well.

Back in the van for only five minutes and we pull up outside a really titchy farm house with hardly any land. There's an excited looking lady in the doorway but I'm a bit disorientated so stick with the bald bloke who feels really familiar now and a two feet I can trust. I wander into the house and start discovering a whole new way of life...
Follow Gyp's blog using RSS feeds